Last year, the Better Business Bureau receiving more than 10,000 Roofing Contractor complaints. Most of these could have been avoided had the consumer known what to look out for.
At Coale-Rice Roofing, we feel our best customer is an educated customer. Before you hire your next roofing contractor, do your homework and feel confident that you know and understand exactly who you are hiring. You and your home will be much happier at the end of the project!
Research Your Potential Roofer
- Check with the Better Business Bureau of Houston
- Check review sites like Google, Nextdoor, and Yelp
- Check your local Yellow Pages
- Check to see if the roofing company is GAF Certified
- Review the roofing company’s website and social media channels
Hire a Roofing Company that offers a REAL Warranty
- How can you trust a company that offers a five- or ten-year warranty but has only been in business for a year or two?
- Watch out for the “storm chasers” from out of state. Will they be here if you have a problem later? The answer is most likely NO.
- Coale-Rice Roofing is certified GAF Master Elite — this gives you a 25-year warranty on your roof!
Get to Know Your Roofer
- Choose a company that specializes in roofing, not general construction. If the owner of a construction company has never personally installed a roof, how do they know if the installer is doing it properly?
- Make sure the company you hire is qualified to do the job. Ask for references and photos of other roofing projects they’ve completed.
- Make sure the roofing company has both general liability and worker’s comp insurance. Ask for a copy of their insurance certificates — it should include the correct, local billing address.
Say NO! to Toe-Boards
- Toe-boards are boards that are nailed through the shingles on steep roofs so installers can work without sliding off. When removed, they leave holes in your new roof.
- Instead, make sure the roofing contractor uses toe-board brackets that are fastened under the shingles and won’t damage them when removed. Alternately, they can use ropes and harnesses.
Things to Remember
- It is inappropriate and even unethical for your insurance company or adjuster to try to influence your decision on who you choose to repair your roof.
- Just because a contractor shows up with your adjuster, or even on behalf of the insurance company, that does not obligate you to hire that contractor. You have the right to choose the roofing contractor with whom you feel most comfortable.
- Don’t sign anything until you’re ready and feel confident that all your questions have been answered.
- Always get more than one estimate. This could save you and/or your insurance company thousands of dollars. It is very common for “storm chasers” to overcharge (sometimes up to 25-30 percent). That’s why they want to deal directly with your insurance company, so you won’t even know. Make sure you are given the quotes directly and/or in addition to your insurance company.
Our team at Coale-Rice Roofing is here to help. Since 1927, our companies have been serving the metro Houston area and bring decades of experience and a proven track record of quality and exceptional customer service. Contact Coale Roofing at 713-524-3187 or Rice Roofers at 713-666-8910 with any questions you have or for a free quote on your roofing project.